In 2001, a parcel of land fronting the eastern side of Liberty Street between South and Clinton Streets was generously donated to Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newburgh by Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Weisblatt. The site, formerly part of a commercial property that housed the Weisblatt’s electrical contracting firm, is large enough for six attached row houses, an architectural style appropriate for the neighborhood.
Many long-standing institutions are within walking distance: the Glenn Hines Center which houses the Boy’s & Girl’s Clubs and many after school programs, Newburgh Free Library, Newburgh Post Office, Mount Saint Mary College, Downing Park, and many area churches.
In designing the Liberty Street Houses, Architect and Board member Peter Smith has brilliantly blended the Habitat credo of “simple, decent” with attractive, clean design and an open floor plan. The home is a two-story attached row houses 1150 sq. ft. with three bedrooms